NorthStar Counselling Services is a full-time practice that provides psychotherapy, counselling, support groups, expressive arts groups, workshops and retreats. Allyson promotes mental wellness and wholistic health through therapeutic approaches and education.
Children (5-12 years)
Children are greatly influenced by those around them—at home, school, and in the community—for better or worse. The sooner a child is able to receive support and strategies to deal with their challenges, the better equipped he or she will be in the future.
Youth (12-18 years)
Youth have so many influences in their lives as they navigate hormones, brain growth and social pressures. Therapy can help youth to make sense of the world through appropriate therapeutic models that may include talking and other creative means.
We all need a safe place to share what’s happening in our lives in order to gain some perspective. Sessions may include examining attitudes, thoughts, feelings, behaviours and patterns.
NorthStar Counselling Services offers various groups and workshops. Groups can often be a support network and inspire ideas for improving a life challenge or difficult situation you’re experiencing.
No two people are alike and neither are their problems. Understanding that you’re unique and “one size” doesn’t fit all, your individual personality and needs are taken into account as we work together to create a therapeutic plan.
Our goal is to create an atmosphere in which you feel safe to explore even the most difficult areas of your life.
My work is informed by various therapeutic approaches, including:
- integrating extreme, balanced and invalidated parts of our personalities to create harmony with our True Self (Internal Family Systems)
- recognizing the impact on body, mind, and spirit; the need for safety in relationships and personal control; focusing on strengths and developing resilience and coping skills (Trauma-informed)
- exploring your inner resources and resilience (Strength-based)
- drawing/writing/painting/music/drama/puppetry/play/storytelling, visualization (Expressive Arts)
- expressing unconditional positive regard, respect, listening and empathy (Rogerian)
- focusing on your individual needs (Person-centered)
- exploring how you view yourself within your life’s story (Narrative)
- discovering the impact of your family on your life – patterns, attitudes, etc. (Family Systems)
- making the connection between your thoughts and actions and where you might want to change (CBT/Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
- exploring ambivalence (Motivational Interviewing)
- making a concrete plan to achieve goals (Solution-focused)
- provide a safe, welcoming environment
- keep our conversations confidential, legal and ethical (exceptions will be explained)
- be open and honest with you
- listen, without judgment
- help you prioritize your goals (not mine)
- encourage you to accept responsibility for how you live your life
- treat you with respect
- instill hope
- provide mutual accountability
- work together with you to help you find solutions or ways to cope with your problems
- with sufficient time, address underlying issues rather than only superficial symptoms
- refer you to someone else who will be able to assist you, if you’re struggling with something that is beyond my professional limits, or you would prefer to see another therapist
- provide 48-hours’ notice of cancellations, except due to sickness or emergency. I will inform you of any planned absences that may interrupt your scheduled appointments.
You deserve to:
- be treated with dignity, care, and respect
- be heard in a non-judgmental manner
- have your questions answered
- provide feedback
- address unethical behaviour with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario
- terminate therapy any time you wish. It is recommended that this be discussed with the therapist prior to making the final decision in order to discuss the advisability and possible consequences, and facilitate the transition.
You’re expected to:
- come to your session on the scheduled date and time. If you’re late, we will still end on time and not continue over into the next person’s session.
- be open and honest and committed to change
- sign a contract for counselling services, as well as a therapeutic contract regarding specific goals
Please call or email for your free 15-minute consultation today!